Friday, April 27, 2012

As the World Turns...Kentucky Style!

As the World Turns...Kentucky Style is what Loni is calling the latest turn of events in my life.

Since I have been on Facebook, three old boyfriends have declared their unconditional and everlasting love for me.

One I consider to be just at an age where he is afraid of being alone and since I am single...  I made it quite clear to him that we broke up for a reason.

The other two I believe do love me.  What type of love it is I don't know, but there is no doubt in my mind that they both love me.  I had long term relationships at different times with both of them.  One of them had problems I couldn't deal with and I finally sent him away for good.  The other relationship ended due to circumstances beyond my control.  Both of these men have always had a very special place in my heart, and of course Raymond knew all about both of them.

When Loni was here the other night she asked me how many more old boyfriends might pop up and I started thinking about the guys I dated and the relationships. Since my parents allowed me to start "dating" on chaperoned group dates at 14 and I didn't get married until 22 I had a lengthy dating period to add guys to my "dance card." So yes, there could be more guys out there to "pop up."  

In the beginning I would date a guy exclusively but when one guy broke my heart my senior year in high school I started dating pretty much anyone that asked me out and did not go steady with anyone.  It used to irritate Raymond that I would sometimes have more than one date in one night.  He didn't like to be told he had to leave at a certain time because the "late" shift was coming over.  Raymond would also get irritated that by the time he would come into town I would have seen the two movies playing in town four - six times.  (Good thing that man loved me so much, he put up with a lot of crap from me.)

Once a date and I had seen both of the movies playing in town, our dates took place in my parents house.  Sometimes we just watched television, or listened to music and played board games.  One guy in college would buy all the food and I would cook him dinner after my parents had finished their meal.  I never expected a guy I was just dating to spend money on me.

I did date an older guy that was one of my brother's friends from New York and he liked to go to Lexington for our dates.  We would go to the movies, or out to a really nice dinner and dancing.  He and I would alternate on who paid.  He and I would also go on wonderful picnics.  We would buy great cheese, olives, crackers, fruit and deli meats and head off to our favorite park and spend hours talking and looking at the lake.  We watched a lot of sunsets together.  

One summer I dated three guys named Gary because my dad kept calling my dates by the wrong name and I decided to make it easy on him. 
Unfortunately, five of the  guys I dated are no longer with us on earth.  There may be more who have passed, but I have no idea what happened to some of the guys after I moved to TX.

In all the years I dated, only one guy actually broke up with me.  I was usually the one to say goodbye, but most of us stayed friends.  I chat with one of my old boyfriends on Facebook all the time.  He wanted to marry me, but I said "no."  He told me the other night that I made the right decision because of where he was in life at that time.  The funny thing is he moved to TX about the same time Raymond and I did.  He has lived south of Houston all this time. 

I always tried to be kind and not hurt anyone's feelings when I told them I didn't want to go out any more.  That only backfired a couple of times, and they usually got over it and would still hang around with my friends and me.  

For years I felt bad about one date I went on and how it ended.  I had a chance to tell the guy I was sorry when we met up on Facebook.  He accepted my apology and we had many wonderful chats before he passed away several months later.  

So it may be As the World Turns...Kentucky Style, but I met a lot of wonderful guys over the years and I have many fond memories, and very few bad ones, so I look forward to hearing from more old beaus.  

 


No comments: