Monday, April 16, 2012

Dream Walk

I drove up to the park in the neighboring city after work today to take a walk.  After one loop around the lake, I decided to walk up through the neighborhood, a neighborhood I have walked through for years.

I was enjoying my walk and on a familiar path when I started daydreaming.  I was daydreaming about long ago and the future.  I had been walking through the neighborhood for about twenty minutes when I stopped daydreaming and started looking around. Nothing looked familiar.  I looked at the name of the street, and it was not one I knew and I had no idea where I was in reference to the three main roads. I realized that I had no idea where I had made turns or on what roads I had been walking on.  I decided to walk a little more to see if I could find a street I knew.

After about five more minutes of walking I still had not found a street I knew.  The only thing I knew was I was walking northwest. I started thinking about the people who got lost in the maze at Halloween and called 911.  I am stubborn enough not to call for help in this type of situation, although in my mind I was estimating how long Loni would laugh if I called her and asked her to map me out of the neighborhood.  I thought about turning on my phone GPS to find my way out, but I decided to keep walking a few more minutes to see if I could find familiar territory.

It took about three more turns for me to find the road the park is on, and then about another eight minutes or so to get back to where I had left the van.  I then decided to drive the route I had walked and found that I had walked a little over three miles.  Not bad for an evening dream walk.


No comments: