Friday, January 28, 2011

I Don't Know What it Was, But You Don't Want It

I woke up at 5:00 A.M. on Tuesday, January 25 knowing something was very wrong. My stomach felt like lead and I was having abdominal cramps.  Not a good thing at all.

It wasn't long before I knew I would not be able to go to work. I texted my boss and co-worker and proceeded to spend the day between the bathroom, bed, and couch with a bucket by my side.  I was burning up, I couldn't keep anything down and between bouts with the bucket I would collapse into what seemed like a semi-conscious stupor.  

Sometime in the very late afternoon John called to tell me he was outside.  I told him he couldn't come in the house but asked if he would take my garbage out for me if I put it on the patio.  Once I hung up I fell out of it again and when I woke up I thought I had dreamed about John calling and was just worried about getting the garbage out for garbage day.  As I laid on the couch trying to orient myself I heard John in the workshop and got up to drag the garbage to the door.  Then I collapsed again.

Jill called and I asked her to bring me a Sprite with cranberry juice from Sonic.  She brought it in and I know she left the drink but that is all I really remember.  The next time I woke up I went to pick up the drink and split it all over the carpet.  It was one of those RT44's so there was a lot to spill.  

I drug myself to the outside door and there was John just getting ready to leave.  I asked him to pull out the carpet cleaner before he left and he was nice enough to set it inside the door.  I cleaned the carpet and decided to go to bed.  

Once in bed I hallucinated most of the night and would get up and roam around to see if what was happening in my head was happening in the house.  It was a rough night.

Wednesday I had an appointment with the surgeon and asked my friend Kathy to take me because I knew I couldn't drive.  I wrapped my face in a scarf, covered my hands in gloves and off we went.  Once home I collapsed again.  Slept most of the day away with fever.  It felt like someone was punching my stomach with boxing gloves covered in spikes. 

Thursday was not much better until late last night when I was able to keep toast and a Coke down. (Thank you for bringing those Kathy).  

Today is Friday.  I am cautiously optimistic that I have turned the corner.  I was able to keep an egg and toast down with a Coke. I have not been burning a path to the bathroom, or been punched with spiked boxing gloves.

I am taking it easy as I feel very weak.  

I have no idea what virus I had, but believe me when I say you don't want it.

No comments: