Saturday, January 15, 2011

Note to Self, Clarify Medical Tests

I have had MRI's before, so when my new orthopedic said he would like another MRI with contrast or an arthrogram, I thought it would be like all the other MRI's with contrast I have had and he was just giving it a fancy name.  He explained it as an MRI with iodine dye, I have had those, not allergic to iodine, not claustrophobic, so no problem.  He did say he wanted the MRI done at a particular location because the radiologists knew him and knew what he was looking for with the test.  I agreed.  After all, the first MRI was inconclusive because the test was not conducted correctly, so why not go for gold this time.

After getting the required approvals, the MRI was scheduled for Tuesday, January 11th at Insight Diagnostic in Dallas.  I arrived at the appropriate time to fill out paperwork.  Everyone at the front desk was super nice, and had my packet all ready for completion. The first few pages were standard, no problem there, then I turned to the consent pages, one for the contrast and one for the MRI.  As I was reading along I saw a little note with a check mark stating that they would be numbing an area of my shoulder, inserting a needle into my joint, removing a certain amount of some fancy named fluid and replacing it with the contrast.   WHAT????  Okay, I told myself to breathe, that must be something on the release and it is not really meant for me.  I was sure I was getting an IV inserted for the contrast and it would be no big deal.  I completed and signed all the papers and then sat back in the chair to read my Kindle and wait. 

Several people were called back behind the double wooden doors, and I continued to read, with one ear listening for my name.  The doors opened again and a nice looking nurse yelled out "Macy."  I kept waiting but she didn't say Mrs. so I figured it was someone's first name and I continued to read.  She repeated the call, and after a few seconds called my first name.  Okay, she didn't know how to pronounce the last name.  I got up to follow her and apologized for not answering immediately and told her how to pronounce the name.  She was very nice about it and then asked "Are you nervous?"  I assured her I was fine and she left me to put on one of the largest hospital gowns I have ever seen.  I swear five of me could have worn this thing at once.  I have had tents smaller than this gown.  Don't get me wrong. I was quite pleased about the size of the gown, since the last one I was given to wear at PT would barely cover the front of this obese body. 

The nurse came back and once again asked me if I was nervous.  I asked her if I had reason to be, and she said that some people were really nervous at this procedure.  I asked her what she meant and she proceeded to tell me about the needle, dye, etc.  I told her I was now nervous.  She walked me down to this big room and had me lay on this narrow hard metal cot under this large machine that looked like an x-ray machine.  She then went over what would happen step by step and told me that the doctor would be arriving soon.  Dr.? for an MRI?  It was just seconds before the Dr. walked in.  He was super nice, went over the procedure again, and asked me if I was nervous.  I told him I thought I would be okay.  He then started preparing my shoulder like I used to do Raymond's sterile central line dressing changes.  After the prep, he draped my shoulder like I was going to have surgery.  I decided to look in the other direction and ignore him and the nurse completely. 

The nurse and the Dr. stated that it looked like I was in my happy place, but they would be happy to chit chat if I wanted to while they were doing the procedure.  I told them I was fine, I was going to try to drop off a little.  All was going just fine.  There was pressure, which I can only compare to the epidurals from my c-sections.  I thought, okay, this isn't too bad.  Then the Dr. did something that made me want to jump through the ceiling.  It felt like he had scraped bone with the needle.  I sucked in my breath really hard and he pulled the needle out and apologized.  He said something about going in below the lidocaine, and he would be giving me more.  There was a lot of scurrying going on behind me and then I felt the pressure again. 

The nurse then started talking to me by telling me how much she liked my green glasses.  I told her about my love of green, and we went on from there.  She asked me if the talking helped, and I said I didn't mind the talking, but the biggest help would be if they didn't do whatever they had done again.  They laughed and then the Dr. said his part was done, good luck and he was gone.

The nurse helped me up from the table and took me to the MRI room where I met Hank.  Hank was very nice, set me up for the MRI, gave me head phones, asked me what type of music I wanted and when I said I didn't want music, I wanted to sleep, he told me he needed me to stay awake.  Great.  I was getting really tired, and I don't mind sleeping in MRI's.  It was a 45 minute stay in the MRI. Hank said I did great, I didn't bother to tell him I dozed off.

The whole procedure took a lot longer than I expected and I still needed to get back to work and finish a project before a 7:00 P.M. meeting.  Fortunately, Loni and the youngest were willing to help and everything was completed with an hour to spare.  
I was sore that night, but not bad.  All in all not a horrible experience, until ...

I woke up at 4:30 A.M. on the 12th.  I thought a fully loaded semi had run over my shoulder about 10 times.  It took forever to get my pj's off and into the shower.  It was a really miserable day.  I went to work, but had to come home to rest for an hour in the middle of the day.  Fortunately, the pain was bearable again by that evening, and it is back down to a burning and the usual pain now. 

I sure hope this MRI will show the Dr. what he needs to know so we can move on in this process.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ouch! I hope that thisi MRI is able to conclusively diagnosis the shoulder pain so that it can be treated appropriately. I hope that you are feeling less pain now.